Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will more than double production of its Dodge Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat models for the 2016 model year, officials announced on Monday.
The company also said it is simplifying the ordering process to make it easier for customers to purchase one of the 707-horsepower machines, which were introduced last year.
Both announcements follow the vehicles creating unprecedented buzz for the mainstream muscle car brand that led to months-long waiting lists and a small number of dealers engaging in irresponsible ordering practices, including accepting deposits and orders despite low-supply and without advising their customers that orders may not be filled.
“To meet this demand, we are more than doubling our SRT Hellcat production for 2016 and simplifying the process to make it easier for our enthusiasts to get their hands on the hottest muscle cars in history,” said Dodge CEO and President Tim Kuniskis in a statement.
As a result of the new ordering, about 900 orders for 2015 SRT Hellcats will be canceled, according to the company. These customers will receive discounted 2016 model-year pricing.
Pricing for the 2016 Challenger and Charger SRT Hellcat models have not been announced. The 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat started at about $60,000; the 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat started at about $64,000.
The Detroit News